About This Blogsite

I have had to do a lot of research into the Victorian Age to write Dr. Wendell Howe's Twitter site and to write my novels. A lot of people following me are also interested in Victorian research for a book they are writing, but also for steampunk costuming, etc. So when I run across a great site I will post it here. If you find something, feel free to let me know in the comments, or contact me on Twitter at @Scablander or email me at Jeanette@scablander.com.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Salon

[Editor's note: This website and all of the links no longer work. They appear to have gone to that Great Internet In the Sky. If you know where I can reconnect, please let me know.]
I ran across a little treasure trove of Victorian culture. Sohie Lagace is an engineer by day and a role player by night. One her favorite games is Castle Falkenstein with its Steampunk setting. She has a webpage called "The Salon" that has links to all sorts of Victorian fashion, etiquette, culture, language and technology. Here are just a few of the links:

Victorian Slang Glossary Speech of the Lower Classes

How to Speak Proper Slang for the Upper Classes

The Library Victorian Science, technology, military history, etc.

The Salon is a labyrinth well worth exploring. (Don't worry, you won't get lost.)
  Link to the Salon webpage
[6-28-2014 update: The Salon seems to have vanished. The first three sites I mention are still there.]

5 comments:

  1. While the site is interesting many of the links she points to were located on Geocities, which has been defunct for some time now. Updated links to new locations containing the information would be invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you referring to my website or the Salon? The three links I mention work but the Salon seems to have vanished. I tried doing a search but such find establishments. If anyone knows where it went, let me know.

      Also thank you for pointing out the bad link. The Internet is an ever changing landscape with sites coming and going. It'[s hard to keep up with.

      Delete
  2. I can't get any of the links to work. Is your site still up and running? I'd love to read them! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I will have to put a note at the front. Apparently this website bit the dust.

      Delete
  3. EMERGENCY LOAN OFFER APPLY

    We Offer all types of Finance Business Personal Cash
    Quick Cash Advance. Fast Credit Check. Cash Today.
    Fast Cash Online
    low interest rate as low as 2%
    Financial Cash Available Here
    Business Personal Cash
    I'll advise All Cash seeker should contact us
    Contact Us At : abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
    whatspp Number +918929490461
    Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete