About This Blogsite

I have had to do a lot of research into the Victorian Age to write Dr. Wendell Howe's Twitter site and to write my novels. A lot of people following me are also interested in Victorian research for a book they are writing, but also for steampunk costuming, etc. So when I run across a great site I will post it here. If you find something, feel free to let me know in the comments, or contact me on Twitter at @Scablander or email me at Jeanette@scablander.com.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Quack Doctor

A collection of medical advertisements from 18th and 19th century newspapers and periodicals. We can laugh at these "cures" now, but this was orthodox medicine in their day.

Beyond being entertaining, these can make nice details for a novel--which is how this site got started. Caroline Rance is a writer with an interest in the history of medicine. Her first novel Kill-Grief is set in a 1750s hospital.

To make things easier for you, the blogs are not only listed by post-date, but by malady. So if your hero gets a toothache, you'll know exactly what was available in his time. You might want to think twice if using any of theis "wisdom" on yourself. There's a reason these products aren't around any more.

Link to Quack Doctor

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for linking to me!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete